Monday, November 20, 2006

Florida princess


My little A has done it again. First in her age group in a pageant.

Yes, my baby is a pageant queen.

As a result of being in pageants, she's totally comfortable in adult social situations. She can get on the stage and strut her stuff, chat with the judges, model her outfits, and dazzle the judges with her talent. It doesn't hurt that she's gorgeous.

But these last two pageants are a different sort. They're more centered on the girls' conversational abilities, their ease in social settings. These pageants emphasize community service (no, not that kind); the girls will go to nursing homes, children's hospitals, that kind of thing. But for A, the best part is being in parades.

Especially a parade at Walt Disney World! Lunch with the governor and an invitation to the new governor's inauguration and ball is pretty cool, but come on, Disney World! She lives just a few minutes from WDW, gets to visit free since her mommy works there, but being in a parade in WDW is just the best thing.

I would have crawled under a table and refused to come out if I'd been told I was going to be in a parade when I was A's age. There's no way I would have stood on a stage and maintained eye contact with a bunch of grownups.

All this attention, practically her whole life, has not caused A to be vain or aloof. She's still just a little girl who likes to play dress-up with other girls. The prize packages that come with the titles are pretty exciting, but A likes the sashes and crowns--and toys--that are part of the rewards.

Her mommy makes most of her clothing for the pageants. Big money is spent on pageant clothes for these little girls; you wouldn't believe me if I told you how much just a swimsuit can cost. But my daughter, J, makes them herself, and they're often held together with safety pins and hot glue. If J wanted to, she could do a big business in making pageant clothing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to A!!! You must be very proud, she seems to be an amazing little girl

MarieP

rita said...

Since it's Disney's Christmas parade, I think it'll be taped well before Christmas. J said that it'll take 3 days to tape it. But I don't know which one A will actually be in. She and B2 get to be in the audience of the Christmas one that will be broadcast. J's going to dress them as Mickey and Minnie (which were also their Halloween costumes).

Just look for the large blond Mickey.

She'll be in the Jacksonville (I think) parade on New Year's Eve. We'd planned to be in Florida then, but I think we're leaving for home that day.

And yes, Marie, I'm very very proud of her! (How can you tell?)

rita said...

I love that girl to pieces, Peri. She's been my baby since I knew J was pregnant. And now she's almost 7.

And you're such a sweet-talker!