Friday, November 17, 2006

It fits!



Isn't this a darling little dog? His name is Max, and he belongs to my blog friend Peri. They live in Canada; after he was blown over--literally--one cold, windy night as he was watering his lawn, I offered to knit a sweater for him. Can't let a cute little guy like Max get all ruffled up.

And I have to brag--I knit those socks, too, to the measurements that Peri sent. I'm absolutely amazed that they actually fit her!

I'm on a socks jag lately. I've been knitting baby socks in assorted sizes using left-over sock yarn. I've also knit a bunch of doggie sweaters for the United Yorkie Rescue Organization's Yorkie Shoppe. They're sending me a boatload of assorted yarns to try out. I've been knitting with my own stash, so this is greatly appreciated.

One of them:



And another:



Anyone want the pattern? I thought you would.

2 Piece Dog Sweater

This sweater will take roughly 3.5 oz of yarn. Your gauge is roughly 4 stitches to the inch. I have worked this up on worsted weight 4 ply and also on sport weight. Using sport weight the gauge works out to 4.5 stitches to an inch. You will also need size 5 needles and size 7 needles.

You will need the following measurements. Dog’s collar size, Top Line measurement and measurement between the pups front legs.

(I tried to find the website where I originally found the pattern but have been unable to find it. It was also sent to me by a knittin' member of the UYR. If anyone out there (hello? hello? hello?) knows who wrote the pattern, please let me know so I can avoid being sued give credit to the person.)

1. For a 10” collar cast on 40 stitches on size 5 needles. Beginning with the neck work in a pattern of your choice, for the length of your choice: 1” for a mock turtleneck, 3” for a fold over turtleneck, 3” for a rolled neck. The pattern can be knit 1 purl 1 or k2 p2, a rolled neck is knit one row and purl a row.

2. Switch to size 7 needles and work in a pattern of your choice until the piece measures equal to 1” short of the top line of the pup. I suggest you add 1-2” to the top line because the pup’s body will make it shrink up. Garter pattern is the easiest. If you choose the stockinette pattern (knit one row, purl one row) you must knit the first 4 and last 4 stitches of every row. Stitch the last inch in the same pattern as the neck.

3. Bind off.

4. To make the chest section: Using size 5 needles cast on 3 stitches. Knit row

5. K1 increase in 2nd stitch K1 (4 stitches on needle)

6. Knit row

7. K1 increase in 2PndP stitch increase in 3PrdP stitch K1 (6 stitches)

8. Knit row.

9. Knit 2 increase in 3PrdP stitch increase in 4 stitch K1 (8 stitches).

10. Continue increasing in the 3 stitch from the beginning and from the end, alternating with a knit row until the width of the piece measures the width of the space between your pup’s front legs.

11. Continue knitting the piece until it measures 1” short of the pup’s rib cage for male dogs, or as long as you want it to cover the little girl’s tummy. Knit the last inch in the same pattern as the collar.

12. Bind off.

13. Now to sew the pieces together. Seam the neck edges together. When you reach the main body, take the point of the chest piece and match it to the edge of the collar, seam down each side until you reach the point where you stopped increasing. Leaving a 2-2 1/2 slit open, continue to seam down the sides. The slits form the leg openings. Slits are perfect for longhaired pups. Less matting.

Enjoy

Here are some notes on sizes:

The gauge is roughly 4 st=1", 5 rows=1". I use size 8 needles mostly, but you can use any size you like to get the right gauge.

For a 6" neck, cast on 38 st; chest piece, increase to 14 st.
For an 8" neck, cast on 40 st; chest piece, increase to 16 st.
For a 10" neck, cast on 40-42 st; chest increase to 18 st.
For a 12" neck, cast on 44-46 st; chest increase to 20 st.
For a 14" neck, cast on 48-50 st; chest increase to 22 st.

3 comments:

rita said...

I hadn't thought about sewing some weights in it!

The way Peri described it was hysterical. He lifted his little leg and over he went. It's not really funny, but I can just imagine the look on his face. It's like the first time little Mia "met" snow; she went sailing off the front porch as usual, right into about 6" of snow. She just lay there like she was dead. She didn't move a muscle.

And she never went outside in the snow again.

Isn't it funny how many Maxes are in our lives?

rita said...

Yes, this Max is about 5 pounds. Just think, you could have 4 dogs instead of one cat!

rita said...

I'll have to see if I can find the photo of the Yorkie Max I fostered for a couple of weeks. He was growling at Betty's dog, but he looked just like he was grinning.

I really like little dogs. It's so easy to pick them up and move them instead of yelling, "come here come here I said come here!"

If you ever make it to WV to visit, Peri, please bring Max. He and Zippy would have so much fun. Zippy already has a cousin Max so he's used to the name, and he LOVES his cousin. Really. Even though both are neutered. And that Max is about 60-80 pounds heavier than Zippy.

Stay warm, Peri and Max! And us too.