Thursday, May 29, 2008

Honor roll girl

Yesterday was the awards ceremony at A's elementary school. She got the spelling award--A, who has always been a creative speller, got the spelling award. J said that her reading has improved dramatically; maybe the spelling has too.

And--tada--she's on the A-B Honor Roll for the whole year! After being in the lowest 4 in her class at the beginning of the year (I think I've written about this before), she's on the honor roll for the entire year. That means--Disneyland!!! Two weeks in California with MomMom and Tom!

And--homeschooling for the next year or two, at least. She doesn't know it yet, but she and I are going to keep journals of our trip this summer. That's a start on the portfolio J will have to keep in case FL officials need documention that the child is learning. I'll have her do some research (love wireless laptops!) on Eleanor Cameron who lived in the Monterey/Pacific Grove area (Mushroom Planet series) and we'll once again attempt to find where she lived in Monterey (we failed four years ago). Maps drawn, journal, research--hahahahahahahaha we'll be learning while having fun!

Who'da thunk that a fun trip would become a homeschooling field trip? I bet A hasn't thought of that yet!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Betty said...

Congrats to A! I bet she is so excited about the California trip. When I was homeschooling Kara, she did a bungee jump type swing ride in Va. Beach and we related it to the physics class she was doing at the time....you can do all kinds of fun stuff and learn from it, too!

rita said...

Of course, I knew for months that she'd be going; airline tickets HAD to be bought before prices went up! But she was so excited last night when I told her that she was for sure going.

I'll take any idea how to relate fun to learning! We could rack up months' worth of work in two weeks!

Anonymous said...

Hey, our homeschool fieldtrips aren't nearly as exciting...sounds like you're off to an awesome start!

rita said...

I have an awesome husband who's willing to take my 8-year-old granddaughter to California for two weeks and even to Disneyland, which he'll skip because it would drive him nuts. Good timing this summer, and lots of things to do there that can be made educational. I'll be careful not to use that word around A!

Debbie T said...

When we took our grandson with us on our move from CA to KY, he learned all of the state capitols of the states we went through...it was so much fun! I can hardly wait to meet your little spelling genius! :=) I think MomMom is going to have just as much fun teaching her little pun'kin. :=)