Saturday, December 01, 2007

Look who's in the front yard

Right now:







And here you can see our West Virginia porch lights. I think they've been up for about 8 years.



I'm heading out to the kitchen to make my specialty, homemade vegetable beef soup. It's my favorite comfort food. Mom mentioned that she made some last night, and it sounded good to me. It's very bland, very plain, and I love it. Tom adds lots and lots of hot peppers to his; he doesn't like bland. That's okay with me; I don't mind if he doctors his up so he can tolerate it. He's the primary cook here; this is the only thing I cook. And he's a good cook!

4 comments:

~Tonia~ said...

They are so pretty. I really don't see how people can kill them.

Sadly there is a bad over population of them at a local park. They has sharp shooters come in and kill them for practice. There was a big PETA demonstration, but what they didn't get was that the deer were starving to death because there were so many of them and not enough food. I would much rather the city to kill them quick and humanely than for them to starve to death. Plus they took the meat to shelters to feed to the homeless.

I am not a hunter, but I don't fault anyone that is as long as they use what they kill and don't just do it for the trophy.

Ok time to step off the soap box. ;)

rita said...

Amen. Intellectually I can accept that, left alone, eventually they'll starve, and terrible diseases can wipe out entire herds. I know that hunters need to thin the herds at that point. I have trouble with those who just want the trophies. A lot of people around here do eat deer meat; I just chose not to.

We've had trouble with large herds of deer in the city limits, eating people's gardens and shrubs, running in front of cars, and they've had to do the same thing as in your city.

PETA doesn't get a lot of things. I think that originally they probably had good intentions, but they've gone overboard in the last few years.

I know that I can't keep them on our property, but I can try!

Unknown said...

The deer who come through our yard never stay long - y'know, because we've got an attack chihuahua. ;)

rita said...

Gotta love those attack dogs!