Monday, November 19, 2007

Phhhtttttttthhhhhbbbbbbbbttt

*sigh*

That gorgeous hat turned out to be big enough for a 3-year-old. I was so disappointed. I've made that hat before and it's always been infant-sized. I used the same needles and similar yarn. Not that I'm an expert knitter or anything, but I usually get the same results.

So Saturday night Tom and I went to a teeny tiny restaurant in town to hear Tony Furtado (there was a total of 44 tickets available, 34 were sold, and I don't think the place could have legally held 10 more people). I took my knitting; I don't care how good the music is, I can't just sit. And I have what my sisters and I call that "uptight white ass" thing going on, so I simply cannot dance through a show. Can. Not. Much as I want to. So I knitted.

I knew that the hat was too big, but it was so pretty. I had to finish it. I did, and I immediately knew that it was going to be torn up and reknit. But instead of simply doing that and getting on with it, I had to take a new hank of yarn, wind it into a ball (while sitting in the "front row"--all five chairs of it, not that I was sitting in all five chairs) and make an incredible mess of it. It took me an hour to get all the knots out of the last few yards.

So I started a new hat, one from the Toast colorway. It's okay; it's not my favorite, but it's got brown, blue, and cream in it, or maybe it's gray instead of brown, I'll have to check the photos, so it's an okay hat for a little boy. It's just not gorgeous.

Another woman came up to me at the break and thanked me for knitting there; she felt then that she could get out her knitting. Huh? I got over that a long time ago. I knit everywhere. She was older than I am, too. Hell, I knit at a Billy Joel concert. (That's true, but meant to be sarcastic.)




See? Just not gorgeous.



I ended up sort of making up a pattern and combining it with one I already have. Okay, I just ripped off the pattern. I didn't like the rolled edge of the first one and I'm not particularly crazy about the eyelet row and tie in the original pattern. It's cute, but not boy-cute. I got the pattern as part of a kit on ebay years ago and I've used it many times (like I said, it had always come out the right size before), but I like a ribbed edge better. And I like the fit of the decreased top.

And I like the way the top swirls.

The show was wonderful. The audience was appreciative. I knit three inches of a hat in the dark. Good night all around.

Even if the hat isn't gorgeous.

2 comments:

~Tonia~ said...

It is still very cute. There is nothing wrong with knitting everywhere. I almos always have something with me to occupy my hands.

rita said...

I agree. Knitting calms my mind so that I can enjoy the moment. Otherwise I'm fidgety and antsy and can't sit still.