Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Did I say stupid?

Have you ever heard your eyes move? It's really freaky.

It happened to me yesterday. It's happened before, when I started taking a new antidepressant or antianxiety drug, but I'd forgotten how bad it is.

I started out taking neurontin last Wednesday at noon. I took it Thursday at noon, too, then realized that it wasn't working out too well. I tried Friday at bedtime, but I was stupid by Saturday. I took it Saturday and Sunday evenings earlier, but by yesterday I was pretty much reduced to being a mouth breather. I could feel my IQ dropping.

I had an appointment with my allergist yesterday morning. For the first time he didn't insist that I have asthma. I kind of knew that because none of the many, many asthma medications he insisted that I try over the last few years worked, including albuterol. The tests that the pulmonologist sent me for a few weeks ago proved that I don't have asthma. Dr. Allergy finally said, "well, I guess you don't have asthma." But. There's one more test that I could take to see if I do, and Dr. God could do it. I nixed that idea fast.

So, Dr. Allergy went along with it and prescribed prednisone. I know it's bad bad bad for the body, but it clears up my stuffy nose and, best of all, my cough. Unfortunately, I can only take it for such a short time that the symptoms come right back. This time he prescribed it for a few days longer with a few days' worth of tapering off. Already, after one dose yesterday at lunch, I can breathe through my nose and I'm coughing less. It's a miracle drug.

But oh I was sick yesterday. I took the prednisone with lunch, and within half an hour I was so sick I could hardly sit, much less stand. Of course, that was my time to answer the phones in the main office, and there was no one who could "sit" in for me yesterday. I just hope that I gave the right meds to kids who came in for them. (I haven't heard of any deaths yet.)

That's when I could hear my eyes move. They swished. Loudly. I couldn't think. I had a big project to finish by 3, my laptop cord has decided it doesn't want to work for the school system any longer and I had maybe 3 minutes of power left before the laptop battery died, and people kept talking to me and expecting me to talk back. And make sense. I managed to make the changes I needed to make to the database I was working on, saved it to a cd and also emailed it to myself in case I needed to use another computer until I can get another power cord, and then the cord started working. (It's worked on and off today, and another one has been ordered. I love that the school system buys three-year warranties on its laptops, and even if it isn't covered by the warranty, they order parts without question.)

I called my after-school yarn job and begged off for my afternoon shift, all $10 worth of it. I hated to do it, but my eyes were swishing. I was afraid to attempt to pick up and walk with a 14-gallon stainless steel pot, and I'd probably mix up the dyes and really screw things up, so I very very very carefully drove the 4 miles to pick up Tom and we went home early. Luxury! Except that my eyes were swishing. And the sun flashing through the trees was absolutely painful.

Poor Tom wasn't feeling well either (but his eyes weren't swishing, thank goodness) so he went to bed at 6 p.m. I made it to 7:15. (I watched "Everybody Loves Raymond", which I rarely have a chance to see. Guilty pleasure.) I slept soundly till 1:30, and that was it. Ambien can't overpower prednisone's insomnia after 6 hours.

But this morning my eyes weren't making noises and I don't feel so bad. I haven't taken any meds yet either. I'll do that after I leave my yarn job.

And I'll pray that my eyes don't make any more noises.

6 comments:

~Tonia~ said...

That is really odd. Can't say that I ever remember my eyes making noises.

Hopefully the meds will work and you will be feeling better soon.

Trillian said...

swishing? *shudder*
have you tried other steroids?
Hydrocortisone? dexamethasone?

rita said...

It's happened before when I first started taking Effexor and Xanax, unfortunately at the same time, but it went away after a week or so that time.

I felt much better yesterday and my eyes had stopped swishing.

I'm sure it's the neurontin, since it's neurological side effects, and it sure can cause them. I dread having to increase the dose.

But I don't seem to be coughing as much!

Leetie said...

Rita,

Wow!!! We totally are drug sistahs! I can't believe everything you're going through. I would be VERY cautious about ramping -up on a drug like that, Rita. Holy crap, 1000 mg? Instead of taking something that could affect your entire existence for the rest of your life, isn't there some sort of surgery where they could just cut a nerve or something? Get rid of that tickle? I'm serious. The problem is nerves firing in your throat. If that drug JUST acted on your throat, then go nuts. Take all you want. But you know it's doing all kinds of other strange crap.

My sister took Effexor for several years and had worse withdrawal symptoms than I did with the Lexapro. They're both really scary. Great when you need it, but horrible that doctors don't help you when it's time to stop taking it. They don't even know why the withdrawal takes place. If I knew that then, I'd have opted for therapy or something. Or lots of xanax. Something that just works when I take it. Not something that changes the chemistry of my brain. Sheesh.

My head is just starting to get back to normal. Not quite there yet, but it might happen.

I'm wishing the best for you. Watching your blog. :)

Leetie said...

Attention people suffering from memory loss!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21921009/

Now go eat some fish QUICK before you forget!

;)

rita said...

So far, there hasn't been anything that I've read or heard from a doctor that indicates any surgery for this. I'd seriously consider it if there were.

I'm up to 500 mg a day of neurontin without any bad side effects so far; the odd thing is, I feel better than I have in many years. I'm still coughing some, but it's better.

I'm so glad that you're feeling better. I just had that one really bad day, then the next day I felt great.

I'm worried about all the damage already done to my brain. I don't know if I'll ever get back what I lost years ago. I had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for 5 years and lost so much cognitive stuff. That was before I started taking any major drugs, too. My memory has never recovered.

Fish? I hate fish! I'll have to try some of those supplements.