Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Paris Street Market and bakery, morning of July 15, which was my birthday. In Paris. Have I beaten that to death yet?

I don't think so.

This is my second attempt to show you the amazing street market. You know you want to see it. I know I want you to see it. Blogger disagrees. Let's see if I can get through this one without resorting to using htm. I know just enough about that to screw up anything I touch. (Thank you, ebay.)

*deep breath*

Okay.


So we got up fairly early on my birthday (told you). At least, it was early for me when I'm not working. During the school year I have to be dragged out of bed kicking and screaming at 5:40 a. stinkin' m. Actually, Tom wakes me very gently and quietly, usually calling me sweetheart and saying it's time to get up. He doesn't even attempt to wake me until he's showered and dressed, and while I'm stumbling into the clothes I laid out the night before and brushing my teeth, he's taking Zippy outside. Zippy's the dog. Chester is his best friend. Could I have ever found a better man? No way.







Anyway, that morning we were headed to the bakery a couple of streets over for breakfast when we saw a street market in the median strip of a side street.


This was an incredible market.








There were shoes, purses (Gucci, anyone?) (Yeah, right.), scarves, tablecloths, all kinds of veggies, fruits, breads, meats, cheeses, fresh eggs, thong panties, anything one could think of (and you know who you are). I'm not adding these photos in any particular order, since the last time I tried that I lost that stupid html tag somewhere.






Everything was displayed in such creative ways, not veggies piled on tables like at a produce stand here in the States.

There were cooked foods available. Some stalls only had olives--but about 50 kinds of olives. Some had fresh eggs and fresh butter. I was practically drooling by the time we left.




There were stalls devoted to gorgeous cut flowers, potted plants and herbs, fresh veggies, and just about every kind of cheese available.

The placement of these photos offends my sense of symmetry, but I can't figure out how to arrange them. I took hundreds of photos, but I've selected the best to share. Such as this one of a dog at the market.



Then we went back to "our" bakery and had breakfast. Their croissants with fresh butter, the pain au chocolat, and hot chocolate were all just incredibly tasty.












The hot chocolate was just that--cocoa and hot milk, with sugar cubes on the side. Oh my gosh, it was so good!!!

That morning was cool (70s), but even when it was in the 90s the following week, that was some kind of good and I had to have it for breakfast. The tiny bakery was air conditioned, so that helped.

We frequently went back to the bakery for snacks. I wish we could have brought it home with us!

Did I mention that it was my birthday?

5 comments:

rita said...

I think that the title ran into the comments section. Too long.

NO, you're going to the BEACH? By the way, happy birthday!

rita said...

Even I would be a bit reluctant to get on Aerosmith's bus. But Joan might try it. She put me in a headlock at one of the Michael Bolton concerts we went to. We wandered around until we found the bus entrance, and his band and singers came out to sign autographs, have photos taken, whatever it is that they do. (You know what big stars THEY are.)

She told the drummer that I had flown in from Florida that day especially to see the band. I had just flown in, but it was because it was time to go home. She tried to get him to hug me, but I guess the terror-stricken look on my face must have put him off.

Yes, people, I have been to several Michael Bolton concerts. A long time ago. I don't even know who he is anymore.

As for Willie, you could probably get a good contact high going and hope that the school system doesn't drug-test you!

Have fun at the beach! And the concert. At least it's not terribly chilly right now.

rita said...

You need to start your own blog!

Thanks for the warning. I'm not a Motley Crue fan anyway; Aerosmith would be enough! I like a lot of their songs.

rita said...

You mean they didn't look for drugs and booze and cough syrup?

rita said...

I may have had to fight them if they tried to take away my cough syrup!

Remember at the Neil Diamond concert we went to, the elderly lady security officer who checked our bags? I remember saying that next time I'd bring in vodka in my cough syrup bottle. Haven't tried it yet.

But then, ND fans aren't usually the hard-core druggies.