Thursday, September 14, 2006

Oh yeah



I nearly forgot. I started this blog to chronicle my adventures in knitting.

I have so many projects in various stages of completion. I love to knit, but I hate hate hate to finish things. Seams drive me crazy.

My passion (right now) is knitting socks. Yesterday, while driving home, Tom (he was driving; even I don't knit while I'm driving) asked me why I knit so many socks. They're 1) easily portable; b) small; iii) and easy. I have the pattern memorized. So it's something I can do without thinking too much or even too much light. I'm planning to try knitting at a movie sometime, see if it's possible. It's very difficult for me to sit still that long in a seat at a theater. I have to have something to do or I go crazy.

I knit in meetings at school (and haven't been reprimanded); I knit on airplanes (thank goodness that even with all the security fuss, knitting needles haven't been banned on planes), in airports, in line, in museums, on trains and buses, waiting for the trains in Harrisonburg to finally move by, and all over Europe and California. I might not get much done at any one time, but even a few minutes calms me.

I suspect that I have a bit of obsessive-compulsive disorder (gee, ya think?), and the repetitive motion and counting of stitches and rows is soothing to me. It keeps me sane (or relatively so). And, at the end of it all, I have something concrete (or yarn) to show for it.

So for now, socks it is.

2 comments:

Trillian said...

I keep meaning to try knitting socks. the heels and toes worry me though.

rita said...

Honestly, they're not at all hard, not if I can do them. Really. I taught myself to knit, and I taught myself to knit socks. I use sock yarn and a size 1 needle; it takes longer than using worsted weight, but they're more durable and there are great sock yarns available. Hold on and I'll post a photo of the sock I'm working on now.

And if you like, I can scan and email you the pattern I use (if you promise not to rat me out, since it's probably copyrighted. Copyrit?).