Wednesday, September 13, 2006

More plants




We also grow plants from seeds. Duh, you say. I like to try unusual plants. I bring home seeds from Key and Spanish limes from Key West. I pull little bromeliads off my daughter's trees in Orlando. Tom brought back a big bromeliad from Sanibel.

I planted palm seeds that I bought on ebay. I thought they were duds, but after a full year, two sprouted at the end of last summer. This summer another one sprouted. Those are still tiny, tiny things with only one leaf each, but two others are starting to look like actual palms.

One of these days we'll live where we don't have to bring the tropics inside each winter. Only 6 more years till I can retire and move somewhere warm. Of course, if I want Tom to come with me, I might have to wait a few more years.

And I do want him with me.

1 comment:

rita said...

Welllll, my thumb isn't exactly green. I do better with outside plants, but the daisies, coneflowers and lilies that I transplanted this spring wouldn't back that up.

Tom's the expert; he can make anything grow.