Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Quick update

Two weeks in Florida, lovely (if somewhat cooler than usual) weather, work around The Cat House, lots of FaceBook time on the Crack (and utter irritation for several days when the Crackberry network was down and no one had told me about it) (by no one I mean RIM, of course, the people who own the company), walks around our new neighborhood, observing the wildlife, playing with grandkids, floating in a warm pool on Christmas night, three days of driving seven hours a day each way (my butt cheek gets numb, okay?), living in our place in the Keys, having to leave and come home, then the little surprise of finding 6" of ice and snow on our driveway in WV, two weeks after it snowed and over a week since a minor ice storm, not being able to drive up the driveway, cracking the front bumper of our less than 2-months-old Prius, getting stuck and having to walk uphill to the house in the dark in the snow and ice and 10 degree temperature with 40 mph winds while wearing clogs because one doesn't need real shoes in Florida even in the winter with no depth perception in the dark and faulty balance on a smooth surface on a sunny day while trying to balance several large tote bags on my shoulders and falling down and losing a clog while screaming "WHY ME?" (or something like that only a lot more profane) at the cold stars as I sat on the ice without one shoe not being able to balance enough to stand up to look for the damn shoe and Zippy had run ahead up to the house and was patiently barking at the front door for someone to let him into the nice warm house while I was crying and snotting without any tissues halfway up the driveway thinking that I was going to die within sight of my own house and no one would ever find me and a bear might eat my barely-frozen carcass and it's all because I can't move to Florida until we sell our house in WV or I get a good-paying job in Florida which isn't likely this time of year (either one) then the next morning I called the guy with the tow truck who came after daylight to pull the car out of the ditch (where I almost took out the side of the new car by getting this---------->close to a huge bolt on a fence post) then dragged my crap back down to the car after deciding that I was not going back to that house until the spring thaw or June, whichever comes first then still being stuck in the damn driveway about 6' from the actual road and spending half an hour trying to get the car that six feet while getting this------->close to the For Sale sign in the ditch by the road until a nice man took pity on me and pulled me out of the driveway and I will not go back to WV until I'm sure that I can make it up that damned driveway and last night my shoulder muscle spasmed and Betty had to help me to bed because it was agonizing to move and it hurt so bad I didn't sleep well even after taking some percocet or something like that so today I went to the doctor who prescribed a muscle relaxant that shouldn't make me dopey but sort of has so I'm going to go to Betty's house and take another one and see if I can sleep.

*deep breath*

Zippy and I are living with Betty for a while.

8 comments:

Trillian said...

yay for Betty! hope your shoulder feels better soon

Elaine said...

What a bummer! Feel better.

Georgi said...

I am glad your back, I wondered if you had decided to refuse to return. It must have been very frustrating to come home from sunny Florida to icky cold WV and find ice and snow. I am sorry it was so bad.
How is the work on the Cat House going???

rita said...

I don't know what I'd do without Betty. A couple of friends have offered me places to stay, but I'd much rather be with someone I love!

I'm able to move around more easily now, but my neck still hurts. I slept for four hours after work yesterday, which was very nice.

Georgi, I didn't want to come back, but I love my job. Even if it is cold. The day I left the Keys was the warmest of the two weeks, and I was able to do some yard work, which is more physical than I usually care for, but it was my yard in the Keys! It was actually fun, and results are seen immediately. Stuff grows so fast there.

Anonymous said...

Betty said...

Glad to be loved! As long as you don't mind sharing the downstairs with two cats, one who frequently throws up after eating, you are more than welcome to stay until W.Va. thaws OR hell freezes over, whichever comes first. Or longer.

rita said...

Betty, I think that the chances of WV thawing and hell freezing over are about the same for the next few months. I love living in your basement, but you'll get tired of me! Zippy absolutely loves being with you all, as you can tell. And cat barf doesn't bother me. After all, we're both seasoned mothers!

Anonymous said...

Betty said...

No, sisters don't get tired of each other. And IF they did, they could just live on different floors!

Zippy stayed upstairs last night until around midnight and then politely asked to go downstairs and join you.

rita said...

Zip's such a good boy. He loves you and Greg, and the kitties keep him in line!