Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Mountain road


I don't understand how trees and bushes hang on to the little bit of soil mixed in with the rocks where the road crews have blasted their way through rock. Yesterday we got caught behind a big truck going up the mountain, so I took the opportunity to take some (bad) photos of some of my favorite spots on the Virginia side.

One of these days we'll take the time to (carefully; the road is full of blind curves and idiots drive too fast) document my favorite spots on the way up the mountain on this side. It's really got some great rock formations.

4 comments:

Knit and fall back in it said...

I don't know what keeps those trees upright.

rita said...

I don't either. One wet, cold winter and a rainy spring and they'll all fall down across the road. That's why I want pictures of them now!

Debbie T said...

It's the same way along the Bluegrass Parkway in Kentucky. I love the rock 'walls' (what I call them) and how the trees hang on. It's the same way in the Sierras where we do have frequent rock slides and down the mountain the trees and boulders go!

rita said...

Exactly, Deedee. I took more photos yesterday of the Virginia side; I honestly don't know what's holding things together. There have been a lot of rocks that have broken off and fallen into the road, but so far no big ones.