Saturday, March 29, 2008

Do I really HAVE to go home?

We spent the day in the truck, 14 hours' worth, which should have put us within a few hours of home. But it seems that the entire East Coast had spring break this past week and was heading home, too.

In front of us.


In back of us.


For hours the traffic was more parking lot than actual driving. If I hadn't had my knitting, I'd have gone insane, and I wasn't even the one driving. I was just along for the music and company.

Not only was the entire East Coast on I95 in Georgia and South Carolina, there were miles and miles of road work, which meant that at least one lane was closed for 30 miles or so, and which also meant that many of the idiots going home had to rush to the front of the closing lane and then push into one of the two available lanes. I did a lot of screaming and gesturing.

For some reason, this sign amused me; check the photo that follows it and you'll see why.




Heh. I have a sick sense of humor, and I needed that today. Poor Tom. He didn't complain. I did it all for him. See what a good wife I am?

To add insult to injury, it started pouring right around dark. We were really lucky; it was the first rain since we left home on Good Friday. But back to bad luck; everyone on the East Coast decided to call it a night and stopped at hotels. Every hotel at every exit for two hours was full. Every. Flucking. One.

But by that time, we were listening to XM radio's uncensored comedy channel and laughing ourselves silly. At least, I laughed myself silly. It was dark. I couldn't see to knit. So I laughed.

Finally found a hotel with one unrented room, and here we are.

I'm going to bed. Knitting content will follow when I'm able to get online again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Betty says....

I hate, hate, hate traffic jams on major highways, or anywhere else. They make me mad, and there's nothing you can do about it.

I'm glad you made it home safely and I'm sorry that you had to leave Florida!

rita said...

One bright note about the traffic jams: We got to stay in Florida longer, it was sunny and warm, and we had cds and XM radio to listen to. It was only uncomfortable when we had to pee. The rest stops were choked with people, so we went to a convenience store. No toilet paper, filthy, ick.