Monday, November 19, 2007

Where's Stumpy?

Another weekend of hunting season has gone by, and we haven't seen Stumpy since last Monday.


I'm worried about him.

The other deer have been around. A couple of times there have been as many as 10 or 11 in the yard, all mommies and babies and yearlings. Old Mommy and her baby are almost always waiting out front from about 4:30 p.m. until we leave around 6 in the morning.



This is Old Mommy's baby, or I think it is. It's always with her. This day she came alone for a while. I don't think you can see it in this photo, but she has a little black mark on her lower lip that distinguishes her from the others. It looks like those are little horn buds on its head, so I guess we'll have to come up with a boy's name.



Okay, in this photo you can see the black spot on his lower lip. Things like this are the only way that we have to tell who's who around here.

Hmmmm, after looking at those two photos again, I'm not so sure that the first baby is Old Mommy's (or whoever she is).


Once again, Old Mommy and whoever-he-is. Whoops--that's a girl. The first one is a boy.

Is it time to go home yet?

2 comments:

~Tonia~ said...

I hope that Stumpy is ok. Isn't it around the rutt? He might be out looking for women. ;) I hope he comes back soon.

rita said...

Oh yeah, he's on the prowl. He's been stalking the females when we've seen him in the yard, so I'm afraid that his mind is way beyond food at this point.