Tuesday, September 11, 2007

More deer



A passel of deer wander through our yard, some days more, some days less. Last night we had the usual (Mommy 2, Stumpy, and Stella) plus JasonorKelsey (they're twins, and if only one is there, we can't tell them apart. Heck, for that matter, we can't tell them apart when they're together.) and Molly, who's a little older than JasonorKelsey.

Molly was the first to show up last night, and s/he was hungry. The others straggled in and they all chowed down.

JasonorKelsey is less skittish than Molly and Mommy 2. S/he's not shy about pushing her way into the passel.

What we find tremendously entertaining is that they come when called for dinner. Either they're already nearby (usually down by the creek or on the hill) and show up before we finish bellowing, or they come tearing in a couple of seconds later. Even the babies come running, but they're usually a little shyer until their mommy shows up. One night Stella was already waiting when we got home (Stella is usually the first one there), but Stumpy wasn't anywhere to be seen. A little while later I yelled for him again, and when I went into the kitchen and looked outside, he was rushing toward the side of the house like he thought we'd take back the corn. He actually looked worried.

So, for your viewing enjoyment, more deer.

Molly, JasonorKelsey, Stumpy, Stella

Same bunch, different order

If you look closely, you can see that Molly has lost most of her spots, while JasonorKelsey still has plenty.

By the way, how many is a passel?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Small world, I 'know' Tonia too. I love the connectivity the internet offers!

rita said...

Me too! I think that I saw you over on Tonia's blog. Nice to see you here!

I've met so many nice people this way.

~Tonia~ said...

Love the deer pictures. They are such pretty creatures. I love the fact that they come when called.

rita said...

I love it too, Tonia. They're so cute. It tickles me that now Molly has been the first one to show up, all by herself, and she's one of this summer's early babies. I took some pictures of her when I got out of the car yesterday; I got home early, and there she was!