Thursday, May 10, 2007

Back to knitting....

I started the second Happy Sock and got about 4" done while I was proctoring online SOL testing (Standards of Learning for Virginia; every student has to pass a certain number in order to graduate with a standard diploma), but at night I've been knitting a t-top made of Bamboo from Southwest Trading Company. The yarn is actually made of bamboo, and it has a lovely drape and should be cool for the summer. I made it wayyyyy too long (why do I do that???) but not so long that I'm going to take it apart and fix it. It has to be blocked before I can wear it. I've never blocked anything before. Sewing up seams and weaving in the ends is enough work for me; I have a 50/50 merino/silk sweater (cost on eaby: over $100, bought before I could even knit straight) that's been in the finishing stage for over two years. It's a gorgeous sweater, so soft, beautiful shades of pink to blue, and I'll probably never finish it because menopause hit me with a sledgehammer and I can't wear long sleeves, much less a turtleneck.

Ahem.

Anyway, I plan to block Bamboo tonight so I can wear it tomorrow. Hahahahahahahaha! That's a good one!

So the other night I started another top that's made of cotton/acrylic yarn that I bought in Germany. It's from Switzerland, but what the heck. I gathered all of my courage and started a top that I found in Cast On magazine. The yarn is citrus shades, from blood orange to orange to shades of green, much prettier than it sounds. If I have a chance this afternoon I'll take a picture of the pattern and the part I've finished so far. It's a more challenging pattern than I've ever done before; I'm tired of plain old stuff. It's time to branch out.

2 comments:

~Tonia~ said...

Blocking isn't hard. Have you ever seen one of the Scuncii steamers? They are wonderful for blocking. Also get you some blocking wires and it will all go much easier.

Can't wait to see pictures.

rita said...

As I expected, I didn't do the blocking last night. We started watching 24 on dvd (third season) and that was that.

My sister has a steamer and it's wonderful.

How is the spinning going? I can't wait to see it!