Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Happy sock

Poor Neo's sock. All brown and sad-looking. And too short.

While we were in Florida, in the car, I got to the last 12 stitches of the second sock, so pleased with myself that I was finishing it before cold weather next winter. That's when it jumped up and bit me in the butt. It's one inch too short. TOO SHORT. Since I'm not long on patience, I balled that puppy up and buried in the bottom of my KnitKnackSack™ and pulled out some springy, happy pink and purple mostly-cotton yarn and cast on for another sock.

I will finish your socks, Neo, I promise, and before it gets cold again (although if it's cold again this week, that doesn't count), and once I find that gorgeous blue yarn you chose, I'll make you a pair of happy socks to go with the depressing socks.

For now, though, I've got me a Happy Sock.


7 comments:

~Tonia~ said...

Oh Crap!! Sorry to hear about the shorter sibling.

It must have been time for some bright colors. The new sock is very pretty.

rita said...

It is time for bright colors. West Virginia is so brown and gray for at least 6 months of the year.

Okay, so this year it was green into January. I exaggerate sometimes.

I have some citrusy yarn that I can't wait to knit into a top of some kind. I bought it in Germany last year at a great price, a whole bag of it, and I need spring colors, emotionally if not in my wardrobe!

Anonymous said...

Now that is one happy sock!

Trillian said...

is that some sockotta? i think i have that same yarn. not that i'll get to it anytime soon. i've got 2 pairs going already and i knit soooooo slooooooowly

Trillian said...

this yarn i'm working with now is 95 wool/5 silk, single ply. it keeps breaking on me. you know any tricks to keep it from pulling apart? (other then to stop tuggin on it so hard)

rita said...

Yes, it's Sockotta. It's the first I've tried, and I like it. It's not as soft as wool, but it's not as hot, either. It's nice to work with, doesn't split easily.

I hate it when the yarn pulls apart or has a knot in the middle of the skein. I don't have any ideas of how to keep it from breaking. I knit some socks from 50/50 wool/silk and didn't have any problems. It's so soft and gorgeous. What brand is it?

I'm knitting a t-top with bamboo yarn (Southwest Trading Company, I think?) and I love that yarn, too. It should be nice and cool for the summer. It does split stitches easily and I have to watch that. I've seen a bamboo sock yarn and I can't imagine it as socks; this yarn I'm using isn't soft enough to wear as socks, and it's too drapey, so I don't think they'd stay up.

Trillian said...

it's plymouth yarn Boku in a green and brown verigation. it's really soft and i'm loving the color