Thursday, January 25, 2007

Quakin' in my shoes

We're going to Belize tomorrow. It's a day-long trek; we'll leave Baltimore around 8 a.m., swing by Dallas for a bit, then head on to Belize City, taking a puddle-jumper to Ambergris Caye.

That's not why I'm quaking. The anxiety-inducing part is that I'm taking ONLY ONE PAIR OF SHOES. Anyone who knows me will tell you that this is a really out-on-a-limb am-I-out-of-my-mind move for me.

When we went to Europe, I took two pairs; one my favorite Birkenstocks, one dressy pair (non-Birks) for the class reunion. In the 10-plus years that I've been wearing Birks, I don't think I've gone anywhere without taking or wearing them. But Friday I found these.

Now I'm not saying that I'm giving up Birkenstocks. No way; they're comfortable, occasionally stylish, great color and style selection, and I ♥ them. But I wanted something to wear on the beach and running (well, walking) around Belize, and I don't have any waterproof Birks. So after a couple of days of browsing web shoe stores, I found these.

Oh. My. Goodness. Lust at first sight. Since I was a teenager I've loved ugly shoes. And these are ugly with a capital U. I read the reviews, decided that I had to have them, but with only a few days to work it, I had to move fast.

I ordered them and added 2-day postage. Then I got worried about the sizing; in Birks I wear a 38 in most styles, but once in a while I need a 39. So I panicked. Okay, I didn't, but I could have. So I checked with an online rep and was able to add a pair in size 39 without additional postage. They have the best customer service department I've ever come across. I ♥ Drew, my personal rep.

You know me. I worried that even with 2nd-day postage, they wouldn't come in time. But they did. And I'm glad I ordered the larger size too, because the smaller ones didn't fit.

And comfort? Wonderful. Like walking on Memory Foam. The description says that the insole conforms to the shape of your foot within 12 hours of wear, so I've worn them to work the past two days to make sure they're comfortable enough to wear in Belize. And they are comfortable.

I see many more of these in my future.

1 comment:

rita said...

These shoes are just incredible! They were great in the sand and on the (two) paved roads. A man even told me they were cute, and he didn't even say it like "they're......cute".

I wore them (duh, only pair I took) to Lamanai, the Mayan ruin we went to, which is a horror story in itself. It had poured all week there, so the trail was muddy where it wasn't rocky or covered with tree roots, and with these shoes, I didn't slip on the rocks. Mud, yes, but rocks, no. I truly heart these shoes.