Monday, October 02, 2006

More about the turtles

I talked to A last night for about an hour. We spent a lot of time making up an imaginary friend. She'd describe something about it, then I'd add to it, back and forth. She would have gone on for hours more, but I had to eat something, so I'm supposed to call her back tonight.

Last week she dictated a long list of things that we'll need the next time we're together, all kinds of artsy-craftsy things. We always have arts-and-crafts time when we're together.

I was hoping to visit Orlando in a couple of weeks, but due to bills that, for some reason, need to be paid (like that "new" car that we unexpectedly had to buy), I can't visit before Christmas. A suggested, quite seriously, that I set up a lemonade stand.

That would be difficult. The entrance to our hollar is in the middle of a deep left turn in the road. It's pretty much a blind curve, unless it's dark and car lights are on. Otherwise we pretty much say a prayer and pull out onto the road fast. So a lemonade stand, or a yard sale, isn't going to work.

For the last few years, I've given the SATs several times each school year. Each test equals one-way airfare, so if I saved that, I could fly to Orlando at least 3 times a year. If I administered the Special Ed version of the test, I'd earn enough from that one test to get a round-trip ticket. I gave three of those last year.

This year the guidance counselor who runs the tests said that he's supposed to round up guidance counselors from the city schools, and if he needs more test administrators than that, my name is on the list. I was really counting on that testing money!


P. S. Tootsie the turtle is doing a lot better than he was last week. The other two (new) are doing well also. Also, A thinks there's some paper lying around the house so she can write to me. So, even though MomMom can't visit for another couple of months, all is well in A's world.

3 comments:

rita said...

I'm hoping that I'll be able to do the SATs. Not that I like having to be at work at 7 a.m. on a Saturday, but the pay sure was nice.

I'll tell A about your idea. She'd probably do it! I think that she and her mommy should go through all of their toys and sell them in their subdivision's yard sale in November. Excuse me, garage sale. Yard sales aren't allowed.

What with all the clothes the kids have outgrown in the last year, I'm sure that they'd have enough for quite a good sale.

Trillian said...

That's a good way to motivate kids to give up their old toys and stuff. "we have to sell these to pay for Nana's visits"

rita said...

Awww, thanks, Trillian! My grandmother was "Nana"; she died just 10 months before A was born, so we retired the name. No one else could live up to Nana's stature!